Thessaloniki housed a major Jewish community of Sephardic origin till 1943. It 's the only known example of a city in the Jewish diaspora of this size that retained a Jewish majority for centuries.
The Jews' arrival for the most part followed the Alhambra Decree in 1492, by which the Jews of Spain were expelled from the country.
Thessaloniki's Jews were inextricably linked to its history and the influence of the community both culturally and economically was strongly felt. The community experienced a golden age in the 16th century and a progressive decline until the middle of 20th century.
After the outbreak of WWII the history of the Jews of Thessaloniki took a tragic course. The implementation of the Nazis' Final Solution in Greece resulted in the near-extermination of the entire community.
The most important structures owned, built for or built by Jews that still survive are:
a few deserted buildings in Analipsi, Depot and Faliro Quarters
-Casa Benveniste (Tefik Efendi) (ca 1907, Οικία Μπενβενίστε, Delfon & Paraskevopoulou & Konstandinidi str.),
-Italia Yassan Synagogue (ca 1907, 48 Velissariou str., originally built as Eliezer & Yakov Nefoussi Mansion, in 1931 bought by the Jewish Community to house the Yosef Issac Nissim Foundation and the Italia Yassan Syanagogue (destroyed in the 1917 Fire), currently deserted)
-Karolos Allatini Orphanage House (ca 1898, Ορφανοτροφείο Καρόλος Αλλατίνι, Spartis & Paraskevopoulou & Vizandiou str., currently deserted),
-Kazes School (ca 1920, Σχολή Καζές, Papanastassiou & Italias str., aka Ayios Stilianos Municipal Asylum for infants, Δημοτικό Βρεφοκομείο Άγιος Στυλιανός),
-Marocco J. - Bourla Mansion (ca 1906, 133 Vassilissis Olgas & Sindika str.)
a few deserted houses and shops in the French Quarter (namely in Ayiou Mina, Edessis, Katouni, Vassileos Irakliou and Verias str.)
-Algava-Shevah-Hassid Building (ca 1925, 3 Vassileos Irakliou str., plans by Kambanelos G.),
-Kirtsi-Bensussam Hani (ca 1900, 5 Edessis str.)
few buildings scattered around the city center such as:
-Casa Cuño (ca 192...., Οικία Κούνιο, Isavron str.),
-Casa Fedi (ca 192...., Οικία Φέδι, Antigonidon str.),
-Casa Parente (ca 1908, Οικία Παρέντε, Vakhou & Promitheos str., about to be demolished),
-Casa Pichón (ca 1922, Οικία Πιτσόν, 3 Klissouras str., in the former Rogos Quarter, plans by M. Roubens),
-Casa X (ca 1925, Οικία X, 7 Klissouras str., in the former Rogos Quarter, plans by M. Roubens),
-Alberto & Allegra Ergas Residence (ca 1925, 19 Solomou & 41 Venizelou str., plans by Yotopoulos Konstandinos),
-Haim de Boton Building ( ca 1924, aka Zenith Building, Μέγαρο Ισαάκ & Ροβερτόν Χαϊμ δε Μποτόν, 8 Mitropoleos & Venizelou str., plans by Jacques Moshe),
-Hasson - Nahmia Residence (ca 1928, 56 Olimbou str., plans by Manoussos G.),
-Hirsch Arcade (ca 1925/1952, housing till recently the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki HQs, demolished in 2008),
-Nea ilisia Arcade (ca 1924, Ermou & Venizelou str.),
-Melka (ca 1906, Ayiou Mina & Venizelou str.),
-Mordoh Building (ca 192..., 23 Tsimiski str. & 15 Komninon str.),
-Mois Hassid Complex (ca 1925, Vas. Irakliou & Kapodistriou str., 2-3 buidings),
-Morpurgo Building (ca 1929, 25 Tsimiski str. & 18 Komninon str.),
-New Market (ca 19 , Ermou str.),
-Saltiel - Salem Building (ca 1925, Kapodistriou & Paikou & Dragoumi & Valaoritou str.),
-Sigger-Rozi Building (ca 193..., 36 Venizelou & Spandoni str.),
-Stein Building (ca 1908, Venizelou & Kalapothaki str., plans by Ernst Levi)
-Vegetable Market Building (ca 192.., Amvrosiou Mediolanon str.)
few industrial buildings scattered around the east part of the city [vide INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS],
-Allatini Tile Industry (after 1917, est. 1858, Thermi),
-Benusilio Silk Factory (ca 189..., Pilea)
few industrial buildings scattered around the west part of the city
VILKA (vide INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS)
FIX (vide INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS)
and very few deserted hovels in former "Baron Hirsch Quarter", Ramona (Rezi Vardar, aka Ksirokrini) Quarter, Ayia Paraskevi Quarter and Stavroupoli District.